Monday, January 26, 2009

Whetting the Palate

One of my 30 by 30 to-do list goals is to learn more about wine. I've been drinking wine since I've been legal to drink (and maybe slightly before that...), but haven't really understood what I was drinking. All I knew was: I like this, or I don't like that. And even then, there was little consistency.

This year, thanks to Twitter, I won tickets to the Boston Wine Expo from the Boston Globe's marketing department (@globeevents). This was the perfect springboard to start seriously learning about fermented grapes!

On Saturday, after the day 1 of the expo (which I did not attend), I went to a post-Expo part at Jonathon Alsop's Boston Wine School. The event was awesome. Delicious food, great wines, and best of all - a chance to meet some really interesting and inspiring people. There were several members of Boston Wine Writers, including Dale Cruse (@dalecruse) and Callie Crossley (who bonded with me over the delicious chicken meatballs), that helped me form a plan of attack for the Expo. Also, I got to sit down and chat with Gary Vaynerchuk (@garyvee) of Wine Library TV (and the Expo's keynote speaker) - who is pretty cool even though he's a Jets fan.

All in all, Saturday was the perfect primer for Sunday's exploits.

No comments:

Post a Comment